Saturday, January 14, 2012

Leadership Pre-Blog

This past week, I began my MBA program at Centenary College.  In my first class on Leadership, we were asked about why we were enrolled in the program and, as is the typical response, most said that they were in it to advance their career.  I have been fortunate enough that I have already achieved a great deal in my career without the need of my MBA, and even to some extent, my Bachelor's Degree.  As a result, my reasons for being in the MBA program are different than most others.  I'm actually here to learn.  One of the frustrating components of my Bachelor's program was the seemingly inherent understanding of most of the concepts throughout the program.  I'm looking forward to being challenged.  I'm looking forward to learning something truly new.

Currently, I work as the Director of Strategic & Everyday Pricing at A&P.  I have spent my entire career with the company, working my way up from a part-time Meat Wrapper, to my current position over the past 22 years.  At times it has been a struggle to be recognized as a leader, but have overcome those obstacles over the last several years.

I am very much looking forward to my leadership assessment.  I have asked my supervisor, several of my colleagues, my direct reports and a few company employees out of my department but have regular interaction with.  I believe that will give me a well-rounded view of what my leadership style is and expose any shortcomings that may be pointed out.  I believe that I am a well-respected, effective leader among the employees that work with me on a day-to-day basis, but I will be very curious to see how team leaders from other parts of the organization perceive my leadership abilities.  The sample is very well-rounded and I expect to learn a great deal about my own leadership style, abilities and areas of improvement as a result.  I look forward to applying those learnings to my job and become an even more effective leader after the assessment is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment